For the public good and the safety and health of our participants this race has been restructured.
We are a unique community of athletes – together, let’s keep the spirit of triathlon/ duathlon thriving and stay strong, supportive and united during these trying times.
What you can do if you HAVE already registered:
1) Your current registration has been automatically transferred to our NYC Duathlon on August 30th
2) Can’t make the new date? This race will still happen virtually through May 31, 2020! That means race from where you are! Share with your friends on FB live, track your distance and time on your smart GPS device and post your progress on FaceBook live or other social media. Submit your stats via email to info@NYTri.org. Your race packet, T-shirt and finishers medal can be picked up at Unlimited Biking or at a future race. Let us know if your Virtual Location. #honorsystem #nytrivirtual
You must reply on or before Friday, May 31st
What you can do if you HAVE NOT already registered:
3) Haven’t registered but still want to join us? Register for our virtual race and “Du” It! Help support our non-profit and our race community. Get out there and join us virtually!
Date: Through May 31, 2020
No Rain Date. Event takes place rain or shine.
*2-Person Relay Teams Only. One Team Member Runs. One Team Member Bikes. Both Team Members Row the Boat.
Start Time: 7:30am
4) You can register to do this race on the new date August 30, 2020.
Central Park remains open to the public. Per the latest guidance from Governor Cuomo and the CDC, public gatherings are banned through April 29, 2020. This recommendation applies to all NYC public parks, including Central Park. Central Park remains open to the public: https://www.centralparknyc.org/alerts
We are all in this together and it is in the best interest of everyone that we all stay healthy, which includes exercise and fresh air. Thank you for your understanding during this time.
BIKE 12 mi
The bike course (12 mi.) consists of two (6 mile) loops of Central Park.
Team cyclists will wait for the runner next to their assigned bike rack and WILL NOT REMOVE THEIR BIKE FROM THE RACK UNTIL they are tagged by the runner.
Cyclists must stay in the middle and right lanes at ALL times and may not enter the runners (left) lane under ANY circumstances.
RUN 2.2 mi
The run (2.2 mi.) starts on East Drive at 74th Street, goes north to a turn around point at 96th Street (on East Drive) and back along the same route to the transition area. The turn point is indicated by a “U-Turn” sign affixed to the top of a large cone. Runners must stay to the left side of the runners lane (both out and back), as indicated by the “Runners Stay Left” signs affixed to cones along the run course.
ROW/BOAT 3/4 mi
Four orange buoys will mark the course. Boats must pass all markers on the left (markers will be to the right of the boat). The fourth marker, designates the turn around point of the row course. After going around the turn around marker, row back to the finish line with buoys on their right. The finish line is marked with two large orange buoys and a balloon arch. Boats must pass through the final set of buoys to be scored.
Location – Virtual
Advise us by email (email@example.com) by May 31st, if you are going to do your virtual race.
Central Park is closed to all vehicular traffic on weekends. As of now Central Park is open to the public. Parking can be found outside the Park on the East and West Sides. The closest Park entrance to the usual start of the race is at 72nd Street and 5th Avenue. (view map). Restrooms are located to the left of the main entrance to the Boathouse.
Do you have any favorite run/ride routes besides Central Park around NYC? Share them with us!
Packet Pick-Up and Late Registration
Race packets can be picked up at a future race.
If you have chosen the transfer option, your bike rental will transfer to the appropriate race as well.
VIRTUAL RACE DAY (May 31, 2020)
The race will still happen virtually! That means race from where you are! Track your distance and time on your smart GPS device and share your progress on FaceBook live or other social media. Submit your stats via email to info@NYTri.org. Your race packet, T-shirt and finishers medal can be picked up at a future race. #honorsystem #nytrivirtual #nytristrong
Schedule of Events
RACE DAY- Your choice through May 31st.
Join us virtually on Facebook live. Start your GPS devices to track your time.
If you do not have access to a boat, stand up paddle boards are allowed.
Results will be posted on www.NYTRI.org.
• Finishers medals can be picked up at a future race.
GENERAL RACE RULES
NYTRI has staged over 600 multi-sport events and is proud to claim the best safety record in the country. The following rules and regulations have been designed for your personal safety and enjoyment. Failure to comply with these rules will result in penalties and/or disqualification.
• Competitors must be familiar with the Competitive Rules of USA Triathlon and must conduct themselves accordingly.
• No entrants under 18 years of age.
• It is the contestants responsibility to be familiar with and follow the race course.
• Each contestant is individually responsible for maintenance and repair of their bike.
• Race management has authority to change race course and format, check-in and start times at any time.
In order to protect your bike and equipment, please make sure that only competitors are in the transition area. Family and friends should remain outside of the barriers at all times.
• Bicycles must be properly placed on assigned racks corresponding to race number.
• NO riding in the transition area or past the “DISMOUNT” signs.
• Bikes and equipment may only be removed from the transition area by competitors. BOTH the run number and bike number must be shown to security personnel.
• Due to heightened security, all bags/backpacks are subject to be inspected by security personnel upon entering the transition area.
• No recumbent bikes allowed.
• Riding without a hard-shell helmet will result in immediate disqualification.
• Penalties will be assessed for unsecured helmet chin straps leaving or entering the transition area.
• Helmets must be ANSI, SNELL or USCF approved.
• Cyclists must stay out of recreation/joggers lane at ALL times. A four minute penalty will be assessed if you enter the restricted joggers lane during any part of the course. This is a safety measure and will be strictly enforced. Police will issue tickets to offenders.
Riding in a pack and drafting is a serious violation. A distance of three bike lengths from the bike in front of you must always be maintained. You may not be closer than this distance for any period exceeding 15 seconds. If you are, you will be assessed a two minute penalty for each infraction.
If another competitor is drafting you, yell to him to stop drafting. If you wish to file an official complaint regarding drafters, you must record their race number. A competitor who has three drafting reports filed by other competitors will automatically receive a two minute penalty.
Only two person teams, displaying their team number, will be allowed in the boat launch area. Teams will take the boat that is given to them by race officials and will not have a choice of boats. Only one team member may row at any time. Switching rowers in mid-course is allowed. Life jackets (supplied with boat), should be worn for safety. To alleviate congestion at the finish buoys, please continue rowing until you are well out of the way of boats finishing behind you and proceed back to the launch area.
Central Park Alert
The course is only closed to cars (except for official vehicles) but NOT to pedestrians, joggers, cyclists, skaters, etc. While biking, competitors must be aware and considerate of non-competitors who will also be sharing the Park roads with competitors. You do not have right of way or priority over other users of Central Park because you are competing in this event.
• Contestants must follow instructions of race officials and public authorities and must obey all traffic laws.
• Contestants must ride in designated lanes at all times.
• Bikes are not allowed inside the Boathouse and must be left in the transition area.
Race Violations & Penalties
Each of the following actions will result in a 2 minute penalty:
• Numbers of BOTH team members not visible in boat.
• Throwing your partner out of the boat or other acts of “water rage”.
• Riding in/out of transition area.
• Entering/exiting transition area under, over, or between barriers.
• Bicycle not on assigned bike rack or racked incorrectly.
• Race # not visible at ALL times while competing or in transition area.
• Drafting or “pack riding” violation.
• Unsecured helmet chin strap leaving or entering transition area.
• Accepting outside assistance or being paced by non-competitor.
Each of the following actions will result in a immediate disqualification:
• Unsportsmanlike conduct/verbal abuse of a volunteer or race official. (determined by race officials)
• Failure to cover complete race course.
• Cycling in jogging/recreation lane (extreme left lane – marked off with double white line).
• Riding without an approved biking helmet.
• Wearing headphones during any portion of race.