**UPDATE: New Race Location – Rockaway Beach, NY
Date: Sunday, July 26, 2020
Start Time: 6:00am, Serpentine start as per bib number to follow.
$120 – before June 22nd
$140 – between June 23nd and July 23rd *On-line entry ends Thursday, July 23rd at 5:00 pm!
*On-line entry ends, July 23rd at 5:00 pm. THERE WILL BE NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION!
• Absolutely no parts of entry fees will be refunded, transferred or credited.
• It is prohibited to sell your race number or for someone to compete in your place.
Limited to first 300 competitors. Sign up early! This race fills up each year!
SWIM 1/4 mi
The Serpentine Swim Start will be spaced 15 seconds apart for social distancing purposes. Swimmers will then enter the water individually as they are called forward one-at-a-time. Do not enter the water until you are instructed to do so by the Race Official.
Location- Rockaway Beach Boardwalk, NY
Belt Parkway to Cross Bay Parkway. Take it to the end of Rockaway Beach Boardwalk. Make a left head East to B32nd Street. Make a right at B32nd.
Since the start of the race is serpentine, racers coming from Manhattan can take the ferry. More info here: https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/rockaway/
Parking/Transition is located on Spray View Avenue.
Race Packet pick up is on the day of the race at B32nd Street.
Approximately 3 days before the event before the event, you will receive an email notifying you of your race bib number. You must write your Bib # on a piece of paper and Tape it on your windshield. If you arrive at check in and do not know your number in advance, you may look it up on the alphabetical list posted at B32. Please do not get in line for check-in if you do not know your race number and have photo ID.
Packet Pick-Up and Day of Registration
Will occur the day of the race at B32 Street. You must show a photo ID to receive a packet. Only competitors may pick up their numbers in person with photo ID. You may not pick up a race packet for anyone else.
New entries will be accepted! (MUST CALL 845-247-0271 to confirm availability. Cash Only. No T-Shirt)
Schedule of Events
RACE DAY – Sunday, July 26th
6:00 – 7:15 am: Check-in. No numbers issued or race packets saved after 7:15!
6:00 am: Race Start (rain or shine).
10:15 am: Course officially closes. Please exit the Park. Awards will be later via Zoom.
Race Numbers & Electronic Timing
• Check the label affixed to the timing tag (on the front of your bib number) for correct information regarding your name, age, sex and category. Notify officials prior to the race of any mistakes.
• You must wear the run number on your front, and be clearly visible to race officials at ALL times. Folding of race numbers is prohibited.
• If you cross the finish line and your number is not clearly visible on your FRONT, you will receive a 2-minute penalty.
• The 2-sided vinyl (adhesive-backed) bike frame number must be attached to the front of the top tube of your bicycle and for security reasons may not be removed until you leave the parking area.
• You may not use any chip other than the one that is assigned to you. Wearing any other chip could lead to errors in overall timing and your disqualification.
• After you finish the event, you must remove the chip and drop it in the collection bin at the end of the finish line chute.
• If you lose your chip during the race or fail to turn it in after you cross the finish line, you will be charged $100 for the lost chip.
Results will be posted on www.NYTRI.org.
• Awards will be held on Zoom – more info to come
HEALTH & SAFETY RULES
Your safety is our number one priority. Below is a condensed bulleted list of our rules and regulations. Please read through them carefully:
Before Arriving to Rockaway Beach:
- Mark your body, back of leg and hand with your race number at home.
- Bring your own water.
- Post Race Bib# in windshield prior to check in.
- Face coverings and wetsuits are required.
At Rockaway Beach:
- All competitors will have their temperatures checked before you can park.
- All bags are subject to inspection by security personnel upon entering the transition area.
- Once you arrive and get yourself settled, start the race.
- Keep your bike on/in your car.
- No food will be served.
- Please do not have anyone accompany you into the transition area.
- Remember, transition doesn’t count! Keep your distance while you transition from one phase to the next.
- Face coverings are required when you’re within 8′ of another person.
- Do not enter or exit the transition area at any point other than the designated openings.
- Do not bring any items into the transition area that are not required for your competition. Items that are non-essential to competition should be secured in your vehicle.
- Display your bib number at all times to identify yourself as a competitor.
- Immediately report any suspicious items to staff or security personnel.
- Always run and ride with the flow of race traffic.
- No drafting! Keep 3 bike lengths apart.
- Leave the park in the same or better condition than when you arrived.
- Once you have finished the race, please leave the area.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
GENERAL RACE RULES
NYTRI has staged over 600 multi-sport events and is proud to claim the best safety record in the country. The following rules and regulations have been designed for your personal safety and enjoyment. Failure to comply with these rules will result in penalties and/or disqualification.
• Competitors must be familiar with the Competitive Rules of USA Triathlon and must conduct themselves accordingly.
• No entrants under 18 years of age.
• It is the contestants responsibility to be familiar with and follow the race course.
• Each contestant is individually responsible for maintenance and repair of their bike.
• Race management has authority to change race course and format, check-in and start times at any time.
In order to protect your bike and equipment, please make sure that only competitors are in the transition area. Family and friends should remain on the Boardwalk.
• Bicycles must be properly placed along your car
• NO riding in the transition area or past the “DISMOUNT” signs.
• Bikes and equipment may only be removed from the transition area by competitors. BOTH the run number and bike number must be shown to security personnel.
• Due to heightened security, all bags/backpacks are subject to be inspected by security personnel upon entering the transition area.
The type of swim you will be doing is referred to as a “serpentine” swim with a “time trial” start.
• Wetsuits are required.
• Maximum time allowed for 1/4 mile swim is 15 minutes!
• Final swim instructions will be given during the pre-race briefing – please pay attention.
•No recumbent bikes allowed.
• Riding without a hard-shell helmet will result in immediate disqualification.
• Penalties will be assessed for unsecured helmet chin straps leaving or entering the transition area.
• Helmets must be ANSI, SNELL or USCF approved.
• Cyclists must stay out of recreation/joggers lane at ALL times. A four minute penalty will be assessed if you enter the restricted joggers lane during any part of the course. This is a safety measure and will be strictly enforced. Police will issue tickets to offenders.
Riding in a pack and drafting is a serious violation. A distance of three bike lengths from the bike in front of you must always be maintained. You may not be closer than this distance for any period exceeding 15 seconds. If you are, you will be assessed a two-minute penalty for each infraction.
If another competitor is drafting you, yell at him to stop drafting. If you wish to file an official complaint regarding drafters, you must record their race number. A competitor who has three drafting reports filed by other competitors will automatically receive a two-minute penalty.
Race Violations & Penalties
Each of the following actions will result in a 2-minute penalty:
• Riding in/out of transition area.
• Entering/exiting transition area under, over, or between barriers.
• Race # not visible at ALL times while competing or in the transition area.
• Unsecured helmet chin strap leaving or entering the transition area.
• Drafting or “pack riding” violation.
• Accepting outside assistance or being paced by non-competitor.
Each of the following actions will result in an immediate disqualification:
• Unsportsmanlike conduct/verbal abuse of a volunteer or race official. (determined by race officials)
• Failure to cover complete race course.
• Cycling in jogging/recreation lane (extreme left lane – marked off with double white line).
• Riding without an approved biking helmet.
• Wearing headphones during any portion of the race.