Date: April 25, 2021
Note: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, race schedule is subject to change.
Start Time: 7:30am
$60 – before January 31st
$70 – between February 1st – February 28th
$80 – between March 1st – April 22nd
On-line entry ends April 22nd at 5:00pm.
THERE WILL BE ‘NO’ ON SITE REGISTRATION!
• There will be no refunds if government closings occur.
• Absolutely no parts of entry fees will be refunded, transferred or credited.
• It is prohibited to sell your race number or for someone to compete in your place.
• Race insurance is available.
• Limited to first 300 competitors.
• Transition Time & Day of Registration will be evaluated as per COVID guidelines.
RUN 1.5 mi
The run course of 1.5 miles is an out and back. Start on the boardwalk opposite the transition area. Run 3/4 mile on the boardwalk before turning around and run back to the transition area.
Rockaway Beach, Rockaway, NY 10306
(@ B 94th Street Promenade)
From Queens (Partial Toll Road):
Head southeast on Cross Bay Blvd to Joseph Alcamo Blvd/Rockaway Beach Blvd. Beach 94th street is the next street. Head south on 94th street to the Rockaway Beach Boardwalk.
From Long Island (Partial Toll Road):
Take Southern State Pkwy and Belt Pkwy to Cross Bay Blvd in Queens, New York. Take exit 17S from Belt Pkwy. Follow Cross Bay Blvd to Joseph Alcamo Blvd/Rockaway Beach Blvd. Beach 94th street is the first street. Head south on 94th street to the Rockaway Beach Boardwalk.
From Brooklyn (Partial Toll Road):
From Atlantic Ave:
Take Atlantic Ave, S Conduit Blvd W and Cross Bay Blvd to Joseph Alcamo Blvd/Rockaway Beach Blvd in Queens. Beach 94th street is the next street. Head south on 94th street to the Rockaway Beach Boardwalk.
From Flatbush Ave:
Follow Flatbush Ave, Marine Pkwy Bridge and Beach Channel Dr to Joseph Alcamo Blvd/Rockaway Beach Blvd in Queens.
Beach 94th street is the next street. Head south on 94th street to the Rockaway Beach Boardwalk.
From Staten Island (Partial Toll Road):
I-278 E to Belt Pkwy/Shore Pkwy. Take exit 11S to Flatbush Ave. Follow from Flatbush Ave above.
Parking: Free parking lot located at B. 95th Street; free street parking.
Subway: A train to Beach 98th Street
Approximately 3 days before the event you will receive an email notifying you of your race bib number. If you arrive at check-in and do not know your number in advance, you may look it up on the alphabetical list posted near the registration tables. Please do not get in line for check in if you do not know your race number and have photo ID.
Packet Pick-Up and Late Registration
Registration packet pick up begins on Sunday, April 25th from 5:30-6:30 a.m on the Rockaway Beach Boardwalk at Beach 94th street. You must show photo ID to receive packet. Only competitors may pick up their numbers in person with photo ID. You may not pick up a race packet for anyone else. NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION!
• Know your race/bib number and have your ID ready!
• Have CDC form printed and filled out before getting on line.
• Before getting online to receive your race packet, place your bike on the bike rack as per Race Marshalls assistants.
• Proceed to the check-in line that corresponds to your race number. Please do not bring your bike to the check-in line.
Schedule of Events
RACE DAY- Sunday, April 25th
5:30 – 6:30 am: Check-in. No numbers issued or race packets saved after 6:30am!
6:45 am: Course orientation, final race instructions (mandatory).
7:00 am: Race Start (rain or shine).
9:15 am: Bike course closes!
10:00 am: Course officially closes. Refreshments and awards presentation begins.
Race Numbers & Electronic Timing
• Check the label affixed to the timing tag (on the front of your bib number) for correct information regarding your name, age, sex and category. Notify officials prior to the race of any mistakes.
• You must wear the run number on your front, and be clearly visible to race officials at ALL times. Folding of race numbers is prohibited.
• Must wear a face covering at all times.
• If you enter the transition area or cross the finish line and your number is not clearly visible on your FRONT, you will receive a 2-minute penalty.
• The 2-sided vinyl (adhesive-backed) bike frame number must be attached to the front of the top tube of your bicycle and for security reasons and may not be removed until you leave the leave the transition area.
• You may not use any chip other than the one that is assigned to you. Wearing any other chip could lead to errors in overall timing and your disqualification.
• The timing chip must be secured to your ankle at all times by means of the Velcro strap provided. Only competitors wearing the chip attached to their ankle will have split times and final times recorded.
• Timing chip is yours to keep as a souvenir of the race.
Results will be posted on www.NYTRI.org.
• You will be notified at a later date for the award ceremony.
• Awards will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, 3rd overall and in 5-year groups; 18-80+ (men), 18-70+ (women).
GENERAL RACE RULES
NYTRI has staged over 600 multi-sport events and is proud to claim the best safety record in the country. The following rules and regulations have been designed for your personal safety and enjoyment. Failure to comply with these rules will result in penalties and/or disqualification.
• No entrants under 15 years of age.
• Competitors must be familiar with the Competitive Rules of USA Triathlon and must conduct themselves accordingly.
• No entrants under 15 years of age.
• It is the contestants responsibility to be familiar with and follow the race course.
• Each contestant is individually responsible for maintenance and repair of their bike.
• Race management has authority to change race course and format, check-in and start times at any time.
In order to protect your bike and equipment, please make sure that only competitors are in the transition area. Family and friends should remain outside of the barriers at all times.
• Bicycles must be properly placed on assigned racks corresponding to race number.
• NO riding in the transition area or past the “DISMOUNT” signs.
• Bikes and equipment may only be removed from the transition area by competitors. BOTH the run number and bike number must be shown to security personnel.
• Due to heightened security, all bags/backpacks are subject to be inspected by security personnel upon entering the transition area.
• Transition times will be addressed according to Parks requirements race day.
•No recumbent bikes allowed.
• Riding without a hard-shell helmet will result in immediate disqualification.
• Penalties will be assessed for unsecured helmet chin straps leaving or entering the transition area.
• Helmets must be ANSI, SNELL or USCF approved.
Riding in a pack and drafting is a serious violation. A distance of three bike lengths from the bike in front of you must always be maintained. You may not be closer than this distance for any period exceeding 15 seconds. If you are, you will be assessed a 2- minute penalty for each infraction.
If another competitor is drafting you, yell at him to stop drafting. If you wish to file an official complaint regarding drafters, you must record their race number. A competitor who has three drafting reports filed by other competitors will automatically receive a 2-minute penalty.
Rockaway Beach Park Alert
The course is only closed to cars (except for official vehicles) but NOT to pedestrians, joggers, cyclists, skaters, etc. While biking, competitors must be aware and considerate of non-competitors who will also be sharing the Park roads with competitors. You do not have right of way or priority over other users of the Park because you are competing in this event.
• Contestants must follow instructions of race officials and public authorities and must obey all traffic laws.
• Contestants must ride in designated lanes at all times.
Race Violations & Penalties
Each of the following actions will result in a 2-minute penalty:
• Riding in/out of transition area.
• Entering/exiting transition area under, over, or between barriers.
• Bicycle not on assigned bike rack or racked incorrectly.
• Race # not visible at ALL times while competing or in the transition area.
• Unsecured helmet chin strap leaving or entering the transition area.
• Drafting or “pack riding” violation.
• Accepting outside assistance or being paced by non-competitor.
Each of the following actions will result in immediate disqualification:
• Unsportsmanlike conduct/verbal abuse of a volunteer or race official. (determined by race officials)
• Failure to cover complete race course.
• Cycling in jogging/recreation lane (extreme left lane – marked off with double white line).
• Riding without an approved biking helmet.
• Wearing headphones during any portion of the race.