For the public good and the safety and health of our participants this race has been restructured.
We are a unique community of athletes – together, let’s keep the spirit of triathlon/ duathlon thriving and stay strong, supportive and united during these trying times.
What you can do if you HAVE already registered:
1) Your current registration has been automatically transferred to our Rockaway Beach Tri/Duathlon on September 20th
2) Can’t make the new date? This race will still happen virtually on the original date (April 26, 2020)! That means race from where you are! Start with us between 7:00-8:00am on FB live, track your distance and time on your smart GPS device and share your progress on FaceBook live or other social media. Submit your stats via email to info@NYTri.org. Your race packet, T-shirt and finishers medal can be picked up at Unlimited Biking or at a future race. Let us know if your Virtual Location. #honorsystem #nytrivirtual
You must reply on or before Saturday 4/25
What you can do if you HAVE NOT already registered:
3) Haven’t registered but still want to join us? Register for our virtual race and “Du” It! Help support our non-profit and our race community. Get out there and join us virtually!
Date: April 26, 2020
Start Time: 7:30am
4) You can register to do this race on the new date September 20th, 2020.
Per the latest guidance from Governor Cuomo and the CDC, public gatherings are banned through May 15th, 2020.
We are all in this together and it is in the best interest of everyone that we all stay healthy, which includes exercise and fresh air. Thank you for your understanding during this time.
RUN 1.5 mi
The run course of 1.5 miles is an out and back. Start on the boardwalk opposite the transition area at B 94th Street Promenade. Run 3/4 mile on the boardwalk before turning around at Rockaway Beach Play Ground (74th Street) and run back to the transition area.
BIKE 10 mi
The bike course of 10 miles is an out and back on the boardwalk. Bike on the boardwalk to 9th Street before turning around. Head back, going past the 94th Street Transition Area to B126 Street. Turn around again and head back to the 94th Street Transition Area for a total of 10 miles.
RUN 3 mi
The final run course of 3 miles is also an out and back. Start on the boardwalk opposite the transition area at B 94th Street Promenade. Run 1.5 miles east on the boardwalk. Turn around at 69th Street and run back to the finish line.
Advise us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Saturday April 25th, if you are going to do your virtual race.
Packet Pick-Up and Late Registration
Race packets can be picked up at a future race.
If you have chosen the transfer option, your bike rental will transfer to the appropriate race as well.
VIRTUAL RACE DAY (April 26, 2020)
The race will still happen virtually!
That means race from where you are! Start with us between 7:00-8:00am on FB live, track your distance and time on your smart GPS device and share your progress on FaceBook live or other social media. Submit your stats via email to info@NYTri.org. Your race packet, T-shirt and finishers medal can be picked up at a future race. #honorsystem #nytrivirtual #nytristrong
Schedule of Events
VIRTUAL RACE DAY- Sunday, April 26th.
7:30 am: Race Start (snow, rain or shine).
Join us virtually on Facebook live. Start your GPS devices to track your time.
Results will be posted on www.NYTRI.org.
GENERAL RACE RULES
NYTRI has staged over 600 multi-sport events and is proud to claim the best safety record in the country. The following rules and regulations have been designed for your personal safety and enjoyment. Failure to comply with these rules will result in penalties and/or disqualification.
• No entrants under 15 years of age.
• Competitors must be familiar with the Competitive Rules of USA Triathlon and must conduct themselves accordingly.
• No entrants under 15 years of age.
• It is the contestants responsibility to be familiar with and follow the race course.
• Each contestant is individually responsible for maintenance and repair of their bike.
• Race management has authority to change race course and format, check-in and start times at any time.
In order to protect your bike and equipment, please make sure that only competitors are in the transition area. Family and friends should remain outside of the barriers at all times.
• Bicycles must be properly placed on assigned racks corresponding to race number.
• NO riding in the transition area or past the “DISMOUNT” signs.
• Bikes and equipment may only be removed from the transition area by competitors. BOTH the run number and bike number must be shown to security personnel.
• Due to heightened security, all bags/backpacks are subject to be inspected by security personnel upon entering the transition area.
•No recumbent bikes allowed.
• Riding without a hard-shell helmet will result in immediate disqualification.
• Penalties will be assessed for unsecured helmet chin straps leaving or entering the transition area.
• Helmets must be ANSI, SNELL or USCF approved.
Riding in a pack and drafting is a serious violation. A distance of three bike lengths from the bike in front of you must always be maintained. You may not be closer than this distance for any period exceeding 15 seconds. If you are, you will be assessed a 2- minute penalty for each infraction.
If another competitor is drafting you, yell at him to stop drafting. If you wish to file an official complaint regarding drafters, you must record their race number. A competitor who has three drafting reports filed by other competitors will automatically receive a 2-minute penalty.
Rockaway Beach Park Alert
The course is only closed to cars (except for official vehicles) but NOT to pedestrians, joggers, cyclists, skaters, etc. While biking, competitors must be aware and considerate of non-competitors who will also be sharing the Park roads with competitors. You do not have right of way or priority over other users of the Park because you are competing in this event.
• Contestants must follow instructions of race officials and public authorities and must obey all traffic laws.
• Contestants must ride in designated lanes at all times.
Race Violations & Penalties
Each of the following actions will result in a 2-minute penalty:
• Riding in/out of transition area.
• Entering/exiting transition area under, over, or between barriers.
• Bicycle not on assigned bike rack or racked incorrectly.
• Race # not visible at ALL times while competing or in the transition area.
• Unsecured helmet chin strap leaving or entering the transition area.
• Drafting or “pack riding” violation.
• Accepting outside assistance or being paced by non-competitor.
Each of the following actions will result in immediate disqualification:
• Unsportsmanlike conduct/verbal abuse of a volunteer or race official. (determined by race officials)
• Failure to cover complete race course.
• Cycling in jogging/recreation lane (extreme left lane – marked off with double white line).
• Riding without an approved biking helmet.
• Wearing headphones during any portion of the race.