Date: Sunday, August 9, 2020
* Date Subject to Change
Start Time: 7:30am
$80: before July 5th
$90: between July 6th – August 6th *On-line entry ends August 6th at 5:00 pm.
$60: before July 5th
$70: between July 6th – August 6th *On-line entry ends August 6th at 5:00 pm.
Triathlon (2 or 3 person) Relay Team:
$120: before July 5th
$130: between July 6th – August 6th *On-line entry ends August 6th at 5:00 pm.
Duathlon (2 person only) Relay Team:
$110: before July 5th
$120: between July 6th – August 6th *On-line entry ends August 6th at 5:00 pm.
• Absolutely no parts of entry fees will be refunded, transferred or credited.
• It is prohibited to sell your race number or for someone to compete in your place.
Limited to first 300 competitors.
TRI: SWIM 0.25 mi
Du: Run 2 mi
TRI/SWIM COURSE: The 1/4 mile swim will take place parallel to the beach. Swimmers will exit the water near the jetty at Midland Avenue and will run across the beach to the transition area. The swim will be in waves of 75 competitors at 3 minute intervals based on race number assigned; wave 1=1-75, wave 2=76-150, wave 3=151-225, wave 4=226-300.
DU/RUN: Du-athletes will start on the boardwalk opposite Lincoln Avenue and will run 3/4 mile before turning around and running back to the transition area.
BIKE 12 mi
The bike course is on both sides of Fr. Capodanno Blvd, between Greeley Ave. and Sand Lane. Bikers will bike this loop (4 miles) three times for a total of 12 miles.
If you do not start the 3rd (final) loop by 9:15 am you will asked to dismount and walk your bike back to the transition area. You must turn in your timing chip to the bike official.
Location-Midland Beach, Staten Island or at your own location.
See park availability.
From Brooklyn/Queens/Manhattan/Long Island: Take Verrazano Narrows Bridge, lower level, and stay to the extreme right as you approach the toll booths. Exit immediately after the toll booth onto ** Lilly Pond Ave. Lilly Pond Ave. runs into Father Capodanno Blvd. Continue on Father Capodanno Blvd. for approximately 3.0 miles until the end of Father Capodanno Blvd. Make the turn at the end and pull into first parking lot on right (parking lot 5A) opposite the beach.
From Goethals Bridge to Staten Island Expressway (#278): East to exit 15 (Lilly Pond Ave. – last exit in Staten Island). Follow from ** above.
From Outerbridge Crossing to West Shore Expressway (#278): East to exit 15 (Lilly Pond Ave. – last exit in Staten Island). Follow from ** above.
From Bayonne Bridge to Martin Luther King Expressway to the Staten Island Expressway (#278): to exit 15 (Lilly Pond Ave. – last exit in Staten Island). Follow from ** above.
Hilton Garden Inn, 1110 South Ave., Staten Island, 718-477-2400.
Approximately 3 days before the event you will receive an email notifying you of your race bib number. You can print it out for your virtual race.
Race Numbers & Electronic Timing
Please use your own timing device and send stats to email@example.com.
Results will be posted on www.NYTRI.org.
A virtual awards ceremony will be viewable on FB live. Date and time TBD.
GENERAL RACE RULES
NYTRI has staged over 600 multi-sport events and is proud to claim the best safety record in the country. The following rules and regulations have been designed for your personal safety and enjoyment. Failure to comply with these rules will result in penalties and/or disqualification.
• Competitors must be familiar with the Competitive Rules of USA Triathlon and must conduct themselves accordingly.
• No entrants under 18 years of age.
• It is the contestants responsibility to be familiar with and follow the race course.
• Each contestant is individually responsible for maintenance and repair of their bike.
• Race management has authority to change race course and format, check-in and start times at any time.
Also, you should familiarize yourself with the list of permitted and prohibited drugs, many are interested in the question of whether it is possible to take Viagra.
Transition Area-Located in the last ball field (opposite Greeley Ave.)
In order to protect your bike and equipment, please make sure that only competitors are in the transition area. Family and friends should remain outside of the barriers at all times.
• Bicycles must be properly placed on assigned racks corresponding to race number.
• NO riding in the transition area or past the “DISMOUNT” signs.
• Bikes and equipment may only be removed from the transition area by competitors. BOTH the run number and bike number must be shown to security personnel.
• All competitors, triathletes AND duathletes, must be OUTSIDE the transition area BEFORE the start of the race!
• Due to heightened security, all bags/backpacks are subject to be inspected by security personnel upon entering the transition area.
• Competitors must wear the official swim cap provided at check-in.
• You must notify a race official IMMEDIATELY if you do not complete the swim. If you do not complete the entire swim course, must surrender your chip to a staff member.
• You will be allowed to complete the event without a chip however your split times will not be recorded.
• Wetsuits are allowed.
•No recumbent bikes allowed.
• Riding without a hard-shell helmet will result in immediate disqualification.
• Penalties will be assessed for unsecured helmet chin straps leaving or entering the transition area.
• Helmets must be ANSI, SNELL or USCF approved.
Riding in a pack and drafting is a serious violation. A distance of three bike lengths from the bike in front of you must always be maintained. You may not be closer than this distance for any period exceeding 15 seconds. If you are, you will be assessed a 2-minute penalty for each infraction.
If another competitor is drafting you, yell at him to stop drafting. If you wish to file an official complaint regarding drafters, you must record their race number. A competitor who has three drafting reports filed by other competitors will automatically receive a 2- minute penalty.
Staten Island Park Alert
The course is only closed to cars (except for official vehicles) but NOT to pedestrians, joggers, cyclists, skaters, etc. While biking, competitors must be aware and considerate of non-competitors who will also be sharing the Park roads with competitors. You do not have right of way or priority over other users of the Park because you are competing in this event.
• Contestants must follow instructions of race officials and public authorities and must obey all traffic laws.
• Contestants must ride in designated lanes at all times.
Race Violations & Penalties
Each of the following actions will result in a 2-minute penalty:
• Riding in/out of transition area.
• Entering/exiting transition area under, over, or between barriers.
• Bicycle not on assigned bike rack or racked incorrectly.
• Race # not visible at ALL times while competing or in the transition area.
• Unsecured helmet chin strap leaving or entering the transition area.
• Drafting or “pack riding” violation.
• Accepting outside assistance or being paced by non-competitor.
Each of the following actions will result in an immediate disqualification:
• Unsportsmanlike conduct/verbal abuse of a volunteer or race official. (determined by race officials)
• Failure to cover complete race course.
• Cycling in jogging/recreation lane (extreme left lane – marked off with double white line).
• Riding without an approved biking helmet.
• Wearing headphones during any portion of the race.