Date: Sunday, August 5, 2018
Start Time: 8:00am
$70: before Thursday May 3rd
$80: between Friday, May 4th – Thursday July 5th
$90: between Friday, July 6th – Thursday, August 2nd
$100: Race Day (Cash Only. No T-shirts to race day entries.)
$60: before Thursday May 3rd
$70: between Friday, May 4th – Thursday July 5th
$80: between Friday, July 6th – Thursday, August 2nd
$85: Race Day (Cash Only. No T-shirts to race day entries.)
Triathlon (2 or 3 person) Relay Team:
$120: before Thursday May 3rd
$130: between Friday, May 4th – Thursday July 5th
$150: between July 6th and Thursday, August 2nd
$160: Race Day (Cash Only. No T-shirts to race day entries.)
Duathlon (2 person only) Relay Team:
$110: before Thursday May 3rd
$120: between Friday , May 4th – Thursday July 5th
$140: between July 6th and Thursday, August 2nd
$150: Race Day (Cash Only. No T-shirts to race day entries.)
*On-line entry ends Thursday, August 2nd at 5:00 pm. After on-line entry closes, you may register IN PERSON on Saturday, August 4th from 5:00pm-6:00pm and Sunday, August 5th from 5:00-6:30 am. Cash Only. No credit cards accepted on weekend of race. No T-shirts to race weekend entries!
This event requires all competitors to be members of USA Triathlon. During your online entry you will be required to purchase single day membership ($15) OR provide your annual USAT membership number. Membership information for USAT can be found at www.usatriathlon.org.
• Absolutely no parts of entry fees will be refunded, transferred or credited.
• It is prohibited to sell your race number or for someone to compete in your place.
Limited to first 300 competitors.
TRI: SWIM 1/4 mi
Du: Run 1 mi
TRI/SWIM COURSE: The 1/4 mile swim will take place parallel to the beach. Swimmers will exit the water near the jetty at Midland Avenue and will run across the beach to the transition area. The swim will be in waves of 75 competitors at 3 minute intervals based on race number assigned; wave 1=1-75, wave 2=76-150, wave 3=151-225, wave 4=226-300.
DU/RUN: Duathletes will start on the boardwalk opposite Lincoln Avenue and will run ½ mile before turning around and running back to the transition area.
BIKE 12 mi
The bike course is on both sides of Fr. Capodanno Blvd, between Greeley Ave. and Sand Lane. Bikers will bike this loop (4 miles) three times for a total of 12 miles.
If you do not start the 3rd (final) loop by 9:15 am you will asked to dismount and walk your bike back to the transition area. You must turn in your timing chip to the bike official.
Location-Midland Beach, Staten Island
All competitors must park in the parking lot 5A (across from Lincoln Avenue). Access to the parking lot will not be available as of Sunday at 7:30 am. NYPD will close Father Capodanno Blvd. to all traffic at 7:30 am on race day. No vehicles will be allowed out of the parking area (on to Fr. Capodanno Blvd.) until 10:00 am. Anyone wishing to leave before this time must park on the side streets leading to Fr. Capodanno Blvd.
From Brooklyn/Queens/Manhattan/Long Island: Take Verrazano Narrows Bridge, lower level, and stay to the extreme right as you approach the toll booths. Exit immediately after the toll booth onto ** Lilly Pond Ave. Lilly Pond Ave. runs into Father Capodanno Blvd. Continue on Father Capodanno Blvd. for approximately 3.0 miles until the end of Father Capodanno Blvd. Make the turn at the end and pull into first parking lot on right (parking lot 5A) opposite the beach.
From Goethals Bridge to Staten Island Expressway (#278): East to exit 15 (Lilly Pond Ave. – last exit in Staten Island). Follow from ** above.
From Outerbridge Crossing to West Shore Expressway (#278): East to exit 15 (Lilly Pond Ave. – last exit in Staten Island). Follow from ** above.
From Bayonne Bridge to Martin Luther King Expressway to the Staten Island Expressway (#278): to exit 15 (Lilly Pond Ave. – last exit in Staten Island). Follow from ** above.
Hilton Garden Inn, 1110 South Ave., Staten Island, 718-477-2400.
Approximately 4-5 days before the event, you will receive an email notifying you of your race bib number. If you arrive at check in and do not know your number in advance, you may look it up on the alphabetical list posted near the registration tables. Please do not get in line for check-in if you do not know your race number and have photo ID.
Packet Pick-Up and Late Registration
Registration packet pick-up begins on Saturday, August 4th from 5:00-6:30p.m. at the Midland Beach, ball field #7 (opposite Greeley Ave.) You must show photo ID to receive a packet. Only competitors may pick up their numbers in person with photo ID. You may not pick up a race packet for anyone else. New entries will be accepted! (Cash Only. No T-Shirt)
Packets will be available on Sunday, August 5th from 6:30 – 7:30 a.m. at the Midland Beach, ball field 7 & 8 (opposite Greeley Ave.). New entries will be accepted! (Cash Only. No T-Shirt)
• Know your race/bib number and have your ID ready!
• Before getting on line to receive your race packet, place your bike on the bike rack that corresponds to your bib/race number.
• Proceed to the check-in line that corresponds to your race number. Please do not bring your bike to the check in line.
Schedule of Events
PRE-RACE DAY – Saturday, August 4th
Midland Beach, ball field #7 (opposite Greeley Ave.)
5:00 – 6:30 pm – Packet pick-up for pre-registered athletes (optional). New entries accepted.
RACE DAY- Sunday, August 5th
Midland Beach, ball field 7 & 8 (opposite Greeley Ave.)
6:15 – 7:30 am: Check-in. New entries accepted. No numbers issued or race packets saved after 7:30!
7:45 am: Course orientation, final race instructions (mandatory).
8:00 am: Race Start (rain or shine).
9:15 am: Bike course closes!
10:30 am: Course officially closes. Refreshments and awards presentation begins.
Race Numbers & Electronic Timing
• Check the label affixed to the timing tag (on the front of your bib number) for correct information regarding your name, age, sex and category. Notify officials prior to the race of any mistakes.
• You must wear the run number on your front, and be clearly visible to race officials at ALL times. Folding of race numbers is prohibited.
• If you enter the transition area or cross the finish line and your number is not clearly visible on your FRONT, you will receive a 2-minute penalty.
• The 2-sided vinyl (adhesive-backed) bike frame number must be attached to the front of the top tube of your bicycle and for security reasons and may not be removed until you leave the leave the transition area.
• You may not use any chip other than the one that is assigned to you. Wearing any other chip could lead to errors in overall timing and your disqualification.
• After you finish the event, you must remove the chip and drop it in the collection bin at the end of the finish line chute.
• If you lose your chip during the race or fail to turn it in after you cross the finish line, you will be charged $100 for the lost chip.
Results will be posted on www.NYTRI.org.
Refreshments are for competitors only. Please wear your race number when entering the buffet line.
• Triathlon: Top three overall and in 5-year age groups from 15 to 70+.
• Duathlon: Top three overall and in 10-year age groups from 15 to 60+.
• Staten Island Resident: First place Triathlon & Duathlon male/female finishers.
• No awards for Relay Teams.
• Winners must be present at the post-race awards ceremony to receive their prize. No exceptions.
GENERAL RACE RULES
NYTRI has staged over 600 multi-sport events and is proud to claim the best safety record in the country. The following rules and regulations have been designed for your personal safety and enjoyment. Failure to comply with these rules will result in penalties and/or disqualification.
• Competitors must be familiar with the Competitive Rules of USA Triathlon and must conduct themselves accordingly.
• No entrants under 15 years of age.
• It is the contestant’s responsibility to be familiar with and follow the race course.
• Each contestant is individually responsible for maintenance and repair of their bike.
• Race management has authority to change race course and format, check-in and start times at any time.
Transition Area-Located in the last ball field (opposite Greeley Ave.)
In order to protect your bike and equipment, please make sure that only competitors are in the transition area. Family and friends should remain outside of the barriers at all times.
• Bicycles must be properly placed on assigned racks corresponding to race number.
• NO riding in the transition area or past the “DISMOUNT” signs.
• Bikes and equipment may only be removed from the transition area by competitors. BOTH the run number and bike number must be shown to security personnel.
• All competitors, triathletes AND duathletes, must be OUTSIDE the transition area BEFORE the start of the race!
• Due to heightened security, all bags/backpacks are subject to be inspected by security personnel upon entering the transition area.
• Competitors must wear the official swim cap provided at check-in.
• You must notify a race official IMMEDIATELY if you do not complete the swim. If you do not complete the entire swim course, must surrender your chip to a staff member.
• You will be allowed to complete the event without a chip however your split times will not be recorded.
• Wetsuits are allowed.
•No recumbent bikes allowed.
• Riding without a hard-shell helmet will result in immediate disqualification.
• Penalties will be assessed for unsecured helmet chin straps leaving or entering the transition area.
• Helmets must be ANSI, SNELL or USCF approved.
Riding in a pack and drafting is a serious violation. A distance of three bike lengths from the bike in front of you must always be maintained. You may not be closer than this distance for any period exceeding 15 seconds. If you are, you will be assessed a 2-minute penalty for each infraction.
If another competitor is drafting you, yell at him to stop drafting. If you wish to file an official complaint regarding drafters, you must record their race number. A competitor who has three drafting reports filed by other competitors will automatically receive a 2- minute penalty.
Race Violations & Penalties
Each of the following actions will result in a 2-minute penalty:
• Riding in/out of transition area.
• Entering/exiting transition area under, over, or between barriers.
• Bicycle not on assigned bike rack or racked incorrectly.
• Race # not visible at ALL times while competing or in the transition area.
• Unsecured helmet chin strap leaving or entering the transition area.
• Drafting or “pack riding” violation.
• Accepting outside assistance or being paced by non-competitor.
Each of the following actions will result in an immediate disqualification:
• Unsportsmanlike conduct/verbal abuse of a volunteer or race official. (determined by race officials)
• Failure to cover complete race course.
• Cycling in jogging/recreation lane (extreme left lane – marked off with double white line).
• Riding without an approved biking helmet.
• Wearing headphones during any portion of the race.